Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Day 5: Imperfect Progress

Today's quote is credited to Tim Keller and Abigail Van Buren.  I really couldn't figure out who said it first, but here is, "the church is a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints." (On Tuesdays I'm going to try to write about the church.)

I was thinking about this quote today when I went to the local YMCA for a Refit class led by my friend, Susan.  I had texted her yesterday asking if I could still come even though I had tweeked my knee and it still isn't at it's full strength.  She said, "sure!"  I knew she would.
I didn't want to miss the class because I knew that it would just be easier next week to miss.  And then I'd end up never going back.  I know myself.  I had to just go.  I couldn't do everything, but my knee is a little bit better so I did more than I thought I could do.  I always concentrate and watch Susan because (1) I will get confused and trip myself and (2) I don't want to see myself in the mirror.  I got a little confident and looked at myself.  You those moments when you think you look one way and then the reality of how you really look hits you.  Well, I had one of those moments during the class.  
I had to fight back thoughts of embarrassment of how I looked and just keep up with Susan instead.  Before class, Susan had asked us to write something that we wanted to give up.  I had written "excuses."  And then she had us write what characteristic we wanted to add this year on a name tag and wear it during the class.  I wrote "joy."  In that transparent moment of seeing me as I am in the mirrorI realized that I could really give up the excuses and choose joy.  I was at the class and finished the class.  I plan on going back next week.  I'll make better choices on what I eat.  I'll give up the excuses and enjoy life!  
Sometimes church can feel like going to the gym...you know, you only want to go if you already have your life in shape.

But the church is meant for us to love each other and encourage each other and take care of each other.  “They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.  All the believers were together and had everything in common.” (Acts 2:42, 44 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment