Thursday, January 14, 2016

Day 14: I pledge...

At the school I work out we say the pledge of allegiance as part of our daily routine.  Once a week we have a chapel and everyone says it all together all at once in one place.  It is fantastic to hear.

It makes me think every time I say it if I really believe what I am saying.  Do I really pledge my allegiance here or is it just a chant.

I think that when I was in school it was kind of a chant.
Allegiance, liberty and justice are all such grand words. They are words that make me think. They are words that hold emotions.  

No one country is nor can be the perfect country.  The reason is that each country is made up of its citizens and no one country has perfect citizens.  But wouldn't it be great if such a country existed?  Where all the citizens were cared about and cared for; where justice truly was blind and would not be swayed by corrupt motives; where people could truly live in freedom.

The Bible says that when God had finished creating all of earth and the first two citizens of earth that God said, "It was very good." (Genesis 1-2). This sounds pretty perfect to me.

But then the Bible says that something went terribly wrong. The citizens rebelled against God, the Creator.  And ever sense then we've been longing for that perfection, only to come up short. (Genesis 3, Romans)

But one day it will all be made right again.  
 
“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells. God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day. Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts. The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Come and see what the Lord has done, the desolations he has brought on the earth. He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth. He breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the shields with fire. He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.” (Psalm 46:1-11 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment