Sunday, August 16, 2009

A weekend in Ketchum (end of Week 2)

Yeah! I have pictures of riding! Woo hoo! But I am at camp in Cascade right now so the pictures will have to wait! (I'll add them here!)

Dave and I went camping right outside of Ketchum because we found some incredible bike riding (that I can do! :) ) there when we took our Jr. High Road Trip. It was such a great weekend of camping and riding.

We started a little later than we had expected so we got the last available slot and paid double because it was a double spot. Oh well, cheaper than a hotel! We set up the itsy bitsy tent that we had borrowed from Mike and Kelly because the other tents that we own are HUGE which will translate into being really cold at night. We found the perfect place to set up the tent. It was nice and flat except our stakes would not go into it. So we settled for our next perfect spot. Once we got the first stakes set up it was a snap to set up. We then cooked our dinner on the grill of the fire pit. We were way too hungry so I put on the shish-kabobs when the flame was too high...oh well, Dave said he really liked it (the meat was dry on the outside and a little raw....so he redid it for me....I just love this man!)

The next morning we decided to check out the Harriman Trail. The trail is named after Mr. Harriman (no kidding huh?) What we found out at one of the markers was that the Harrimans were the parents of Winston Churchill. I thought that was cool.

The Harriman trail is basically a gravel trail. It goes up to Galena. The Park Ranger suggested that we ride the 13 miles there and get lunch then come back to pack up our stuff and ride the other trail in Ketchum. I didn't even have to think about it....no way! I think it would have been fun except my bottom was still sore (see other post) so there is no way I could make it.

We rode about 2 miles up the trail. On the way up I felt like the biggest looser. I could barely peddle 4mph at a lot of the parts of the trail. At one point as I struggled up the trail this obviously great mountain biker flew by me. Wow, did I feel stupid on the bike at that point. Dave kept encouraging me so we went further than I thought I could go.

Then we turned around! What a difference going downhill makes! I was flying! I hit at least 15 mph for a long time.

When I passed the place that the mountain biker had passed me I thought about my misconceptions of myself and of him. I didn't know when he had started. I didn't know that going downhill made such a difference. I had judged myself against him and found myself wanting. I need to stop doing this.

I do this in my Christian life as well. I see how well someone is doing and think I am just not living my life right. Or I do the other way when I see someone doing poorly and I forget the struggles that God has walked with me through to bring me to where I am now.

We had some lunch, packed up camp and took off to a trail head for the Wood River Trail right at the Southern edge of town. Dave has such great ideas as always trying to start our rides uphill so the ride home is really great (even with a sore bottom).

I rode another 18 miles that day. (On a paved trail) I don't know how I did it, but it was a fantastic ride. I can't wait to go again when my body is more used to bike riding again.

"Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth. Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. Know that the LORD is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pature." Psalm 100: 1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment