Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Teaching Grammar

Yesterday I taught the placement of indirect object pronouns and direct object pronouns to my Spanish one class.  My classes are having a hard time with it.  They need a lot of review.  By the end of the day the kids became a little frustrated.  In fact one of them said something like why can't we just learn Spanish anyway?  Why do we need grammar?  Well, it was a great sunny day and who would want to learn grammar on a sunny day?  And just how does Spanish grammar have to do with English grammar anyway?
When I got home I got a wonderful note in the mail from Kirsten.  She reminded me of when she was my TA last year.  I loved how she would leave me notes and this note in the mail was one of those.  You know the kind...the ones that are a shot in the arm to remind you that you are on the right track.  They make you smile and remind you that someone really does love you and what you do and who you are is important.

Some of my kids came in today during lunch and got some help on the grammar.  They are getting it now (of course they brought food in and I believe that you can learn just about anything when you are also eating great food).

Grammar is the scaffolding that we use to build our language.  Without it we wouldn't be able to communicate to the depth of our soul.  We really wouldn't be able to really express ourselves with just basic words...you put them together...you get sentences...then you get paragraphs....and grammar allows us to use less words sometimes (in context) to express ourselves better.

I probably just slaughtered the paragraph above, but then again what do I know about English grammar when I'm suppose to just teach Spanish grammar?  Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment