Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mis Hijos and Rumicube

They learned how to play Rumicube at my grandparents house when my granddad was still alive. They were little then. It was a great game for my grandma, Grandma Great, to teach them and play with them. Grandma Great said it was a great game for them to learn numbers and patterns and how to get along with others.

We'd clear the table and get out the tiles. Of course Grandma Great knew all the rules so no fooling her and if you couldn't rearrange them correctly you'd have to put it all back and draw a few as a penalty.
We've played a lot of rummicub games since then. Whenever we go to Grandma Great's house we almost always end up with time for at least one game. Just last summer Grandma Great came out for Bethany's graduation and we played then too.

I love listening to my kids laugh. When we play games we are very competitive! It usually doesn't start that way. We start by just playing a game that one of us wants to play. There is usually one person who doesn't want to play but can be talked into it. Then there is at least one who doesn't care either way. And the one who just wants to all be together so a game is a good idea. Then there is one who is getting the food for the game...which we all end up agreeing should be consumed BEFORE the real competition begins.

Once the game gets going the competitive nature comes out...then someone will goof up big time (usually me or Dave) which sends the kids all laughing. One new favorite game is pictophone. David brought it back with him from school. We were all laughing at the end of it that I almost started crying. It was hilarious and this one, no matter how hard we try, is not competitive.

Back to rummicube....We played it again, this time with just the three of us. It was a lot of fun. I missed Grandma Great. I missed David and Bethany. It was still fun. The game reminds me of the good times that we've had and the good times that we are having.


I'll be glad when Christmas break gets here so we can be together again for a little while. BUT I am thankful that we still play games as our family dynamic changes.





1 comment:

  1. Honey, I think I missed this one when you wrote it. this was great! love, Dave

    ReplyDelete