Saturday, June 13, 2009

TRUST...

....is not a matter of me or my faith, it's a matter of what or who I trust in.

On a coin it says, "In God We Trust."

King David put it this way, "Now I know that the LORD saves his anointed; he answers him from his holy heaven with the saving power of his right hand. Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God. They are brought to their knees and fall, but we rise up and stand firm.
Psalm 20:6-8 (New International Version)

The Miriam-Webster dictionary has this, "1trust
Pronunciation: \ˈtrəst\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English, probably of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse traust trust; akin to Old English trēowe faithful — more at true
Date: 13th century
1 a: assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something b: one in which confidence is placed2 a: dependence on something future or contingent : hope b: reliance on future payment for property (as merchandise) delivered : credit 3 a: a property interest held by one person for the benefit of another b: a combination of firms or corporations formed by a legal agreement ; especially : one that reduces or threatens to reduce competition4archaic : trustworthiness5 a (1): a charge or duty imposed in faith or confidence or as a condition of some relationship (2): something committed or entrusted to one to be used or cared for in the interest of another b: responsible charge or office c: care, custody — in trust : in the care or possession of a trustee"

I'm talking about #1. assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something.

1way2God.net states God's character as, "God is independent, unchangeable, eternal and omnipresent. He exists as a spiritual being, having no form or dimensions, and is omniscient (all-knowing), wise, truthful, faithful, good, loving, merciful, graceful, patient, holy, at peace, righteous and just, jealous for His own honour, wrathful towards sin, perfect in every way, beautiful beyond comprehension, and is glorified through the revelation of Himself."

John says in 1 John that God is love. God is love and He loves me (John 3:16 "For God so loved the world (that's me!) that He gave His only begotten Son (that's Jesus) that whoever believes in Him might not perish, but have eternal life (that's why Jesus died on the cross and rose from the grave)". Powerful stuff for me that's for sure!

Since God is love and He loves me I can trust in Him. He is completely trustworthy.

Now I know that it is easy to trust when all is well. Might I also suggest that it is easy to trust when all is not well when you have history, when you know the character of the one in whom you trust.


All this to say....my transmission is blown. It will not work any longer. UGH! My God is able to do more than I could ever imagine. My God loves me more than I will ever really know. My God is trustworthy even when my transmission blows (not just in the car, but blows a huge hole in my budget).

Some trust in chariots (like a certain Honda Pilot) and some in horses, but I will trust in the name of the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment